photo Homebutton_zps33ca85a7.jpgAbout button photo Aboutbutton_zpse4960406.jpgFashion button photo fashionbutton_zpsb93094b2.jpgFood button photo Foodbutton_zps1354918f.jpg photo contactbutton_zps4843722f.jpg

Monday 4 May 2015

Welcome to motherhood: My first 6 weeks

Well, what a whirlwind that was. The first 6 weeks go by in a blur of sleep deprivation and nappy rash cream. I find myself staring at my beautiful daughter thinking, wow is this really happening?
It's true what they say though, being a mother really is the most challenging yet rewarding thing that a woman will go through...it all starts with the birth. Painful, terrifying, exhausting but all completely worth it when they put your brand new baby girl up on your chest. I will say one thing though & that's thank goodness for pain relief!

I'd been warned about how little time I would have when I returned home so I'd stacked the freezer with meals (some of the best advice I was given!) but I really underestimated just how little time I would have. Take breastfeeding for example; a baby feeds on average 10 times in 24 hours and each feed can take up to an hour when they're newborn especially if you're including a nappy change and/or waking a sleepy baby a few times mid-feed...so that equates to 10 hours a day and a massive 70 hours in a week!!!!

70 HOURS A WEEK BREASTFEEDING!!!

Woah! That's like working two full time jobs! No wonder I'm feeling zombie-like and that's before I've cooked dinner (the frozen meals don't last forever), done a few loads of washing, washed the dishes, patted the dogs and squeezed in a shower (if I'm lucky!)

To top it off, breastfeeding is painful! But if you're lucky enough you and your baby will settle into it and it'll become a beautiful bonding experience. I count myself as one of those lucky ones.

So 6 weeks in, hubby is back at work and my daughter and I are starting to get into a routine. They say the first 6 weeks are the hardest and I'd say by week 5 I was starting to get stretches of 5 hours sleep at night so I can honestly say I'm feeling less like a zombie everyday. It's been a steep learning curve for me, having never changed a nappy until my daughter came along (yep it's true!) but I honestly couldn't imagine my life any other way now.

Huge shout out to my helpful hubby (most of the time!), my loving Mum and my entire family who are always available on the other end of the phone, my inlaws especially my mother inlaw, my friends who have offered advise or popped into visit, the knowledgeable midwives all of which I learnt something different and to everyone who rang, text, sent cards and gifts or wrote a heartfelt congratulatory message via social media.

To finish off I'd like to say to other new mums or mums-to-be to just go with your gut. Everyone you ask will give you different advice so just go with your mummy instincts. Oh and 'number threes' are something you'll become familiar with. Also known as poo explosions & poonarmies!

And to friends/rellies visiting new mums, you'll receive extra thanks if you rock up with food! And don't forget your whooping cough vaccination.

Megan 'new mum' Potter x

Miss Potter, 6 weeks old

2 comments:

  1. You're smashing it as mumma Meg!! And you make a beautiful bubba!! Such a cutie!! Xx

    ReplyDelete