photo Homebutton_zps33ca85a7.jpgAbout button photo Aboutbutton_zpse4960406.jpgFashion button photo fashionbutton_zpsb93094b2.jpgFood button photo Foodbutton_zps1354918f.jpg photo contactbutton_zps4843722f.jpg

Thursday 30 April 2015

Wrap your ears UPDATE

A while ago I shared with you my new found love of a little internet sensation know as 'podcasts'. Ok, I know that they're nothing new, but let's be real - they've been pretty bland for the past ten years. HOWEVER there are so many fab ones that I keep discovering, it's my civic duty to share with you all.

In the beginning, I jumped on the Serial bandwagon and went from there. Admittedly, I've been drawn to lady-only podcasts. And while I'm not adverse to a good old mansplain every now and then, listening to ladies is a nice relief - especially when it's just general chit-chats whilst getting boozy. How this was not a thing before now is beyond me (but I am open to anyone interested in starting a podcast with me, for no other reason than to enjoy a bevvie or two, while taping our voices and thinking we are sooooo funny. I used to tape my voice when I was a kid - hold down 'play' and 'record' together. See? I'm a pro and it will DEFINITELY be a hit).

In the meantime, here are some fab recommendations to see you through.

Another Round - with Heben and Tracy (Buzzfeed)

I really can't tell you how I stumbled across this one - I think I was trawling through the podcast 'hit list' and liked their picture. Anyhoo, this is my latest, most favourite podcast. Heben and Tracy are hilarious - their aptly named podcast is in tune with their philosophy to drink whilst broadcasting. It's a winning formula. They then proceed to chat about what interests them, racial politics in the US, interview people and enjoy general shenanigans. They share jokes and have mock debates. Mostly, I love their open discussions of being African-American women, race politics and how life is for people of colour in the US. This isn't a discussion we'd generally know as being mainstream (especially in Australia) but it's refreshing and long overdue. It's amazing. It's hilarious. There is regular reference to 90s R'n'B. Get your ears on it now.

Call Your Girlfriend - with Ann Friedman and Aminatou Sow

'A podcast for long-distance besties everywhere'. Again, not sure how I found this one, but I love that they started a podcast because they are trying to keep in touch living in places far away from each other. They have a segment 'What's new in menstruation', which is a running theme here (and if you think about it, when has there ever been the liberty to discuss periods on the airwaves? People are prepared discuss actual shit, but somehow periods are too gross... I didn't realise how absent that discussion was, until I listened to informed women talk about it in a respectful and informative way). It's not all about mensies though - like Heben and Tracy, Ann and Aminatou are kicking back with a few vinos, chatting about things relevant to them - and a lot of ladies aged 18 to 40.

Chat 10, Looks 3 - with Leigh Sales and Annabel Crabb

If you're an ABC nerdist like myself, you'd be familiar with Leigh (7:30) and Annabel (Kitchen Cabinet), and their mostly political reporting. I've included them in this list because they offer an Australian flavour to a lot of topics (as you've probably noticed, most of my recommendations are US-centric). Being familiar with their journalism, Leigh and Annabel are so obviously wicked smart, but their podcast is a nice break from the seriousness of their professional work. They not 'on', so to speak, they are just having a yarn about stuff. Who knew that Leigh is an adorable, theatrical music nut? And Annabel's Adelaide accent is sooooooooo prominent, I just want to high-five her for being from the same state as me (it's not always about Sydney and Melbourne you guys).

Not Too Deep - with Grace Helbig

A lovely reader of this blog recommended this podcast to us (shout out to Stacey!) and Grace Helbig is really the epitome of an internet elite (aside from the Mark Zuckerburg, Silicon Valley tech types). Grace is a hilarious performer, making crazy and relatable online content. Grace interviews her friends and interesting people and asks questions that aren't 'too deep' (geddit? it's in the title) because funny questions will lead to funny answers and antics. Key life questions include: "What is the impact of the combination of our farts?" Hard hitting stuff. Get on it.


ADDED BONUS!

The Good News about PMS - Robyn Stein DeLuca (TED Talks)

Technically this isn't a podcast, just a talk at a TED conference, but I thought I'd throw it in there since I've already mentioned periods a few times. Everything you knew about PMS is wrong. Must listen, in 15 minutes your entire world will change. (I would really love to hear your thoughts about this - no matter your gender, would be interesting to see how people respond to this - leave a comment below!)

What are you listening to readers? Anthing else to recommend? Leave us a comment below, or let us know via our facebook page here.

Elouise x


No comments:

Post a Comment