photo Homebutton_zps33ca85a7.jpgAbout button photo Aboutbutton_zpse4960406.jpgFashion button photo fashionbutton_zpsb93094b2.jpgFood button photo Foodbutton_zps1354918f.jpg photo contactbutton_zps4843722f.jpg

Wednesday 4 February 2015

Make the most of your vintage

It's no secret that I love vintage clothing. I shared with you a while ago some tips for op-shopping and how to maximise your vintage bargain hunt. However. It's one thing to find epic, one-of-a-kind vintage items to brag about, but it's quite another to pull it off with your wardrobe favourites. This is a regular dilemma for me, but I have got a few little nuggets to pass on to make the process a little easier (also FYI, when I say 'vintage' I mean pre-loved clothing generally - there are probably vintage purists out there who will think this is sacrilegious, but same same - we're not picky here).

It begins with the key piece - your vintage find. In this post, my key piece is a fabulous A-line, high wasted, full length skirt that I found for $7.50. It has no label and is very likely handmade. It's brown with a beautiful gold weave, checkered throughout the fabric. On a hanger it's pretty drab, but I absolutely love the style and the infinite potential it offers.
The vintage skirt
Immediate considerations: 
colour
Muted, dull colours is often what makes or breaks vintage. It will look old and dowdy if brighter colours aren't incorporated somehow. You can achieve brightening your look by choosing bright pieces or accessories to lift the overall effect. I chose gold accessories which enhanced the gold thread of the skirt.
length
The length of the skirt went all the way from under my boobs to my toes. For an average height person, I am swamped by the fabric and look like I'm playing dress up with my nana's Sunday best. To overcome this, I rolled down the waste band to achieve a midi-skirt length, which is not only on trend for this summer, but tailors the fit to my height. With heels, the proportions are just right - I only need to make sure that the fabric rolls aren't peeking out (it helps if someone is watching out for you).

Gold accessories highlight the gold tones of the skirt
Secondary considerations:
texture
The textures and fabric of clothing play an important role in style. This skirt is heavy and anchored by it's long length. Choosing a lightweight top lifts the overall look, achieving a sunny, summer appropriate outfit. 
modernising
As I said, it would be SO easy to look drab in this vintage skirt. Updating the look is achieved two ways; firstly, mixing prints. You can't quite tell from the picture, but the skirt is checkered - by choosing a floral top, an opposite print, the look is more modern. The floral pattern also has similar colour tones to the skirt - shades of brown and beige occur throughout, achieving a consistent colour pallet. Secondly, the top is a razor cut, cropped style, which allows for a little skin and softens the body of the skirt. This top had two layers which made it longer, but I tucked in the second layer to accurately proportion the two pieces.

Mixing prints with a common colour pallet will update a vintage piece
Final considerations:
comfort
It's important for all clothes to feel comfortable, not just stretchy pants. When we are comfortable in our clothes, we are confident and this shines through. WE wear the clothes, the clothes don't wear us! I loved wearing this outfit to a recent family wedding - I felt good, I got to wear a favourite vintage piece and people complimented me. This is crucial for pulling off vintage - be proud to tell others about your find and wear it like a boss!
polishing
It's the little things that will pull this whole look together - a bright lip and nail, a block heel that Megan advised us on, and my outfit has come together nicely.
Top: Target Collection Skirt: Vintage Shoes: Wittner Necklace: Vintage Lipstick: DB 'Fire Red'
So what do you think readers? Ready to attempt the vintage scene? Or do you already? Would love to hear about your own vintage love!

mwah mwah mwah
Elouise x



2 comments: