photo Homebutton_zps33ca85a7.jpgAbout button photo Aboutbutton_zpse4960406.jpgFashion button photo fashionbutton_zpsb93094b2.jpgFood button photo Foodbutton_zps1354918f.jpg photo contactbutton_zps4843722f.jpg

Monday 8 February 2016

Good Reads

Hi all!

Are you getting over the fact that we hit February? FEBRUARY! I myself, am still stumped about it - more so because I haven't even been back from my trip a month yet but it feels like a whole year has gone by... Those waiting on snaps, be patient - I'm still trying to choose the best shots!

You may have noticed my absence over the past month/s (eep!) and I'm sorry! Today I come ready with some reading recommendations. A little late in the summer I know, but will kick us into autumn nicely (argh, I don't want to think about it either).

It's a mixed bag this one, something for everyone!

The Language of Flowers - Vanessa Diffenbaugh


Oof, where to start with this one? Probably not the most cheery of summer stories, but has aspects that lift your heart. Victoria is a young woman with a unsettled past - in and out of foster and group homes as a child, as an adult she is untrusting and unconnected. However, she has an interesting relationship to flowers. The story weaves through the past and present as it builds the narrative of Victoria's life and develops her power to communicate with others through floral expression. Really beautifully written, I listened to this as an audiobook and got lost in the descriptive detail of flowers and their allure. 

Recommended for: long soaks in the bath tub with rose scented candles.



Masters of Sex - Thomas Maier 

Having watched the (fairly) fictional version of this biography, I was interested to understand more about Virginia (Gini) Johnson and Bill Masters. If you're unfamiliar with their work, they basically revolutionised modern-day understanding of the physiology of sexual intercourse and sexual relationships. The TV programme is fab, but the book is good for understanding the background of each of them and how they interacted with each other, and others over the course of their research. What I find most interesting about their research (and their entire relationship) is Gini's insertion as full equal to Bill - even though she had no degree in human biology/ medicine, her understanding and knowledge of the female/ male psyche is essential to the research. Very interesting read.

Recommended for: a comparison between the show and 'real life', not much more than that really - the TV version is much more entertaining - hoo ha!


Paddle Your Own Canoe - Nick Offerman


Another audiobook listen and I have to tell you there is something really special about having a person read their own personal memoir. Their jokes and anecdotes come to life in a way reading just can't. Not that I don't still love the latter, but where possible an audiobook is a good choice. You may know Nick Offerman as Ron Swanson from Parks and Recreation. Or you may not know him at all, considering he's not known for much else. He's also married to Megan Mullally (from Will & Grace). What else can I tell you about him? He likes Pina Coladas. No just kidding (he might, he hasn't mentioned), but I will say this - he is so damn witty and insightful that I feel so much better about the world. He loves, admires and respects his wife deeply. He tries to live by a simple philosophy. And his dulcet tones will leave you mesmerised.

Recommended for: a road trip through the country with beautiful scenery. 


The First Bad Man - Miranda July


The first half of this book left me so confused that I put it down for several months. It was strange, but I felt like I had missed key paragraphs and couldn't follow what was going on. Then, for some reason, I was determined to pick it up and continue on no matter how confusing it was. And I ended up loving it. It did take a good chunk to get into it, but by the end it all tied together in a happy way. I honestly can't even really tell you what it's all about. Written in the first person, a woman is experiencing an interesting life challenge. Any more information than that and I'd just be babbling and confuse myself even more. I did really enjoy it though, despite my ridiculous review.

Recommended for: not judging a book by it's cover - which is literally black


Have you managed any of these titles? What other books can you recommend? Would love to hear what you've been reading! Leave us a comment below or at our facebook page

E x

No comments:

Post a Comment