photo Homebutton_zps33ca85a7.jpgAbout button photo Aboutbutton_zpse4960406.jpgFashion button photo fashionbutton_zpsb93094b2.jpgFood button photo Foodbutton_zps1354918f.jpg photo contactbutton_zps4843722f.jpg

Wednesday 10 June 2015

30-something thinking

Turning 30 wasn't something I worried about leading up to it. It was on my mind, but I admit that the idea of getting older isn't one that I put energy into (and of course - 30 is not old. At all). However, what has been interesting about my three decades on this earth is what I have come to learn about myself - which only growing older has enabled me to do.
Research has shown that our cognitive development continues well into our 20s - it's not just an experience of our childhood years. There's a lot we try to sort out as young adults; relationships, study, careers and whatnot - but our 30s bring a change of pace.

No FOMO: My early 20s was abuzz with parties, massive nights out, gigs and festivals (followed by a week recovering) - if I was invited, I'd be at the opening of an envelope. Which is the thrill of going to everything in your 20s! ANYTHING could happen! Sadly though, not much did actually happen. A whole lotta drunken nights, occasional pash, maybe a celebrity siting (or confusing the two - like the time I saw a guy out, certain we had locked lips several times and was mildly offended that he didn't remember me. Turns out he was an actor on Home and Away and we had never met). Fun times OF COURSE but now, I'm quite happy to miss out on all that - for fear that I may miss optimal viewing time of my Netflix subscription.
Ilana knows what's up
My mind is making the decisions, but my body is in charge: So you know how sometimes you might eat an entire packet of light and tangy chips because you really really feel like it? Or you might not exercise for two weeks? Or you might smoke a pack of cigarettes on a night out because you're "not drinking"? (I need to do something with my hands) Or you stayed up until 1am on a Wednesday watching "The Wedding Singer" on telly because you hadn't seen it in a while (even though you have an ad-free copy)? You can completely stand by these decisions because it made sense at the time. Sure, your brain thinks it's won. But then, like a dish best served cold, your body enacts its revenge on you and destroys your ability to do anything. Your bones creak when you bend to pick something up. You're overhung for about three days at least (the second day is often the worst). Your guts wreak havoc at grease and sugar. This is life in your 30s. You might think you can pull a swifty, but your bod KNOWS BETTER. Be kind to it.
Kitty knows what's up
I'm allowed to be fucking angry, OK: We spend a far amount of our time convincing ourselves that negative emotions are bad and that we should limit them at all costs. This is incredibly unhealthy. I'm not suggesting that we go completely ape-shit whenever the mood moves us, and certainly aggression on an extreme level can lead to some pretty nasty consequences - but come on. Sometimes getting angry feels gooooood. And crying feels goooooood. And both, at the same time, has a magical ability to lift your spirits. I've found if I do it regularly enough I save myself the energy and angst of repressing what are completely natural feelings. I get fucking angry sometimes. Deal with it.
Stick guy knows what's up

People move on, but it's not the end of the world: When I was a new adult, I was pretty sure that everyone I knew would be the same people I would know and interact with 10 years later. Oh how I was so naive. People grow, people make decisions, people do what's right for them. And you know what? My life just continued on, based on my growth, my decisions and what was right for me - and nobody else. Sure I lost contact with people over time. Sure, those people were once really important to me. They remain important because they are a special part of special memories. But sometimes we stay friends with people, not because we continue to have things in common and enjoy spending time together, but because we are nostalgic for the times we shared. Which isn't always a good thing. It's ok to move on - it's a chance to make room for new special people.
Puppy knows what's up
Chin Hair: Yep. It's a thing. It starts as the odd neck hair that you accidentally discover - thick, black and about 2cm long. Then it's the odd whisker poking out of your chin. The next thing you know, you're dedicating ten minutes a day to plucking stubble in the bathroom mirror. Invest in excellent tweezers.
Tina knows what's up
So what about you dear readers? What are your life learnings so far? Leave us a comment below or visit our facebook page to share your thoughts.

E x

3 comments:

  1. Was eating a whole packet of light and tangy a reference to me on satdy night...?
    Great article El!
    Into the 30s the female body really is a ticking clock- you can't run from aging ovaries.
    I've grown into my 30s-it's now more acceptable to love British history & house docos and get excited about flooring.
    LG

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A fellow light and tangy addict??? How did I not know this before..? I've never felt so free to be a nerd, bring on sensible shoes and discussions about culture. My ovaries are talking to me: 'use me or lose me! But no pressure'.

      Delete
    2. A fellow light and tangy addict??? How did I not know this before..? I've never felt so free to be a nerd, bring on sensible shoes and discussions about culture. My ovaries are talking to me: 'use me or lose me! But no pressure'.

      Delete